How much notice do I have to give to end my tenancy?

If you are on a periodic tenancy you can must give 28 days written notice. If you are in a fixed-term tenancy, you cannot give notice to end a fixed-term tenancy early.

How often are inspections completed?

This is dependent on a couple of factors, owners insurance and their instructions. However, most inspections are carried out every 12-16 weeks and you will be advised at least 48 hours prior by the Property Manager.

If there is an urgent job that needs attention or maintenance, who do I call?

If the call is during normal working hours please contact your Property Manager directly. If the call is outside of normal office hours, the After Hours contractors will only be sent if the job is deemed a Health and Safety issue.

Is the tenant responsible for water rates?

If there is a water meter your tenant is responsible for paying for what they use.

Why do I have to pay a week in advance?

Being a week in advance is simply paying for the week you are about to live in. It is similar to purchasing groceries which you eat over that week. It is important to be a week in advance as this keeps you out of arrears and ensure you are not in breach of your tenancy.

Is the tenant responsible for looking after the garden?

Normally, yes, although garden maintenance can form part of the lease negotiation. That said, more extensive garden maintenance work, such as trimming trees, is usually your responsibility as a landlord.

We have lost our key/locked them inside, what can I do?

If you have lost your key or locked it inside during office hours, call your Property Manager and they will arrange which office you can collect our management set from. These will need to be returned ASAP once they have been used. If this was to happen After Hours it is up to you, the tenant, to engage the services of a locksmith and pay the associated costs. Should you need to have the lock changed you must advise your Property Manager and supply a copy of the key. If you are in an apartment the Building Manager may be able to help you after hours, but again there may be a cost for this.

I have been given a 90-day notice, can I leave earlier?

If you have been issued a 90-day notice you can leave earlier, you just need to advise your PM by giving 21 days’ notice in writing to vacate.

Can I add another person to the Tenancy Agreement?

Depending on the maximum amount of people allowed to reside at the property, this is at the discretion of the owner. If agreed, they must fill out an application form and all the normal checks will be completed.

Can I break my fixed term?

Legally we are only obligated to break a fixed term due to extenuating circumstances. Both the landlord and tenant must agree. Each application is accessed on a case by case basis and there will be a charge for a Lease Break.

Can I have a pet?

If your Tenancy Agreement states no pets, then you cannot have a pet at the property.

Can we have fibre installed to the property?

The owner must give permission for fibre to be installed to the property. Please ask the provider to arrange for a site plan of how they intend to install it and forward to the Property Manager to discuss with the owner. The tenant cannot have it installed with prior consent.

When do I get my bond back?

After you vacate we will complete a final inspection. Your bond form will be sent to you within days of the final inspection if there are no issues such as cleaning, removal of rubbish or repairs required. Should the Property Manager need to arrange contractors to complete such tasks, your bond form will not be sent to you until all the invoices have been submitted and deductions made.
If both parties do not reach an agreement with work that needs to be completed at the property once it has been vacated then either party can put the bond into dispute and file to Tenancy Tribunal.

Can we carry out repairs ourselves on the property?

You must consult with your Property Manager before completing any major repairs at the property. Small repairs such as tightening door handles, fixing hinges and general maintenance of small items as a result of wear and tear are welcomed. Grounds are the responsibility of the tenant to keep tidy unless otherwise stated in your Tenancy Agreement.

We have mould, who is responsible to remove it?

Mould can be caused by a lot of issues, not ventilating your property correctly by opening doors and windows regularly, not opening curtains during the day to allow the natural light to come in, not wiping your windows dry when they have condensation on, or opening a window/turning a fan during a shower, also drying your clothes inside. All this creates moisture that when the property is not be ventilated causes mould. In this instance, you are responsible to remove it. It will need to be wiped and there are products from supermarkets that can inhibit the further growth of mould and remove it. However without ongoing ventilation is will come back. Should the mould be caused by something more sinister such as a leaking roof and drainage issues then the Property Manager is responsible to find the resolution.

What do I need to know if I have a swimming pool or spa?

Firstly, your swimming pool or spa will need to have a full fence around it that meets current regulations. You can then negotiate the maintenance of the pool in the tenancy agreement, although some landlords like to look after maintenance themselves.

What about insurance?

The tenant should get contents insurance to cover the contents of the property they own. Landlords however, are responsible for insuring the building and any contents they own, i.e. the chattels.

What about house alarms?

The Rental property must be reasonably secure. This means fitting locks to doors and windows, but does not have to have a fitted alarm. If the tenant wants to make the property more secure they must get your permission and pay all the costs of adding the new security. They must also give the rental management copies of the new keys as well as any relevant security codes, pin codes, etc.

Can the property be sold at any time?

If the tenancy agreement has a fixed term, the tenant is entitled to stay in the property for the full length of the term. If there is no fixed term, the tenant can expect the tenancy to be long-term. This is normally regarded as one or two years. If you sell your property within any of these periods, you may have to pay the tenant compensation.

Fitted smoke alarms?

Yes. In addition, it must be suitable for the property and fitted in the right place. They must also be checked to ensure they work properly.

Compare Properties

Compare (0)